You wash your face before bed. You moisturize. But your skin still isn't perfect. What gives? For these important skin care issues, there's one person we can turn to: Celeb skin care expert Kate Somerville. Not only has she worked with the likes of Jessica Alba and Debra Messing, but Kate also has an amazing product line that spreads the gift of gorgeous complexions to women all over (seriously, if you haven't tried the brilliantly-named ExfoliKate yet, you're missing out. It's liquid gold!). Now that spring has finally arrived, your skin is probably ready to emerge from behind those heavy winter foundations, amiright? Kate is going to be chatting on our Facebook wall TODAY to help you achieve fresh spring skin, but in the meantime, heed her five tips below and you'll be well on your way to that natural glow we all crave.
1. Exfoliate. To get glowing skin, you need to exfoliate once or twice a week. It’s absolutely crucial for removing dry, dead skin cells and deep cleaning pores. Look for products with fruit enzymes, gentle acids, and smooth microbeads to do the job. Avoid natural physical exfoliants like pits or seeds as they are rough and can damage the skin.
2. Hydrate. Hydrated cells are healthier cells; they look and function better. Look for a product containing Hyaluronic Acid or Sodium Hyaluronate. So many of my clients forget this essential step! Hydration means getting water into the skin cells while moisturizing means locking it there. To hydrate internally, drink plenty of water and eat foods rich in fatty acids. Avoid diuretics, simple sugars and caffeine.
3. Moisturize. Like hydration, moisturizing is a necessary step for a radiant complexion! Look for a moisturizer packed with peptides to protect and seal in the hydration while offering anti-aging benefits. Your skin with look and feel smooth, soft and nourished.
4. Sun Protection. Protecting your skin from sun damage is the foundation of my philosophy. If you don’t protect your skin, the issues you are trying to fix will return. Many issues I see with my client’s skin could have been avoided with more diligent sun protection. Along with regular sunscreen use, wearing a hat and sunglasses will protect delicate skin when you’re out in the sun for longer periods of time.
5. Incorporate a Retinol. Retinol is one of the most powerful anti-aging tools available to us. If you’re over 30, incorporating a Retinol is a crucial step in your skin care regimen. Retinol increases cell turnover, evens tone and texture and keeps your skin looking young and refreshed. Look for new generation, more stabilized versions of Retinol to minimize flaking, peeling and redness.
Want more skintel (see what I did there?) from Kate? Just be at the Glamour Facebook wall TODAY, March 21, from 12-12:30 PM ET and ask her your questions! And don't forget to "like" Kate on the ol' Facebook as well. See you there!